Frozen semen info/ costs
Frozen semen fact sheet
including Equine Artificial Breeding Services fees and requirements
Dry Shipper - Transports frozen semen domestically and internationally - up to 70 straws
The frozen semen straw must remain submerged within liquid nitrogen to remain viable for use.
Transporting Frozen Semen is made possible by a Dry Shipper. Liquid Nitrogen is absorbed into the lining of the tank until saturation, leaving remaining visible liquid nitrogen to cover the frozen semen straws being transported.
From being full to empty (gradual evaporation of liquid nitrogen), the Dry Shipper tank has a shelf life of approximately 21 days. However, the quicker the semen straws are transported and transferred to a proper semen storage tank, the better.
The semen will last indefinitely, frozen at -196°C in liquid nitrogen, providing that the straws (casing surrounding the frozen sperm) are maintained correctly at all times.
EABS fee includes:
Filling of the dry shipper with liquid nitrogen, straw transfer, road transport to the required destination and return to EABS and tank hire.
Road transport $400.00 plus transport fee
* * * Frozen semen must be ordered at least 14 days prior to use. Dry Shippers used for transporting frozen semen must be returned to EABS with TNT Transport. EABS will provide a consignment note in the dry shipper for the return.
Mare being bred * * *
- EABS must receive authorization from stallion owner before frozen semen can be released.
- EABS does require you to FAX your details (as set out below) at least 10 days prior to the mare being bred to allow for adequate transportation time of the frozen semen straws.
- Frozen semen straws and thawing instructions will be released and transported in dry shipper tanks directly to your veterinarian.
- Your veterinarian will further transfer the straws into their own storage tanks, after which the dry shipper must be returned to EABS as soon as possible (please refer to 'Return of semen shipment containers' below).
Please provide the following information when you order frozen semen:
Your (mare owner) name, address and contact telephone numbers.
The exact delivery address including, receiving persons name, telephone number and postcode.
Your credit card details, Visa, MasterCard, Bankcard or American Express card number, the full name that appears on the card and the expiry date. OTHERWISE SEMEN WILL NOT BE SHIPPED